Monday, March 30, 2009

Apocalypse now

Wes and I discuss current events from time to time. One concern I've voiced recently is the possible government takeover of credit. Given the current situation, it's not at all unlikely, and if it does happen, it is the Mark of the Beast.
For those of you who aren't familiar with the book of Revelation in the Bible, one HUGE sign of the apocalypse is this mark of the beast thingy. Basically "the devil" takes over and assigns everyone a number, and without this number you cannot travel or trade. Some people were calling the "national ID card" the mark, but your purchasing power is not limited by the ID card. It would be by a government credit card.

Now I know some of you are saying "Oh man, she's gone Christian on us!" But that's not anymore true than saying that I've gone Mayan and started sacrificing people. I do still view the bible as largely fairy tales and parables. After all, Revelation is presented as a dream, full of imagery and metaphors.
And even as Wes and I talk with certainty about the coming end times, we remain calm, almost observant. This whole sequence of events seems very alien, barely reaching our lives. I mentioned to a coworker that aside from my sliding "college savings account" I don't even notice a recession. Shit, have you seen gas prices? They're freakin awesome.

Edit:
Actually, I just remembered how we got on this topic. I was thinking about how the government is printing way too much money and it's leading to inflation. So I proposed we burn massive amounts of cash to increase the value of the dollar. However I soon realized the possible worst-case-scenario of civil war over cash supply, at which point the government would step in and nationalize credit, leading to (BUM BUM BUMMMM..) the mark of the beast.

No comments: